Historic Rehabilitation Tax Credits (HTC)


The HTC program provides tax credits to attract private investment for rehabilitation of historic properties. Property owners of income-producing historic structures may apply for credits to cover 20% of the qualified costs of rehabilitating the structure. The credits can be used by the property owner to reduce their own tax burden, or can be sold to investors to raise capital for project costs.


Property owners of “certified historic structures” (as determined by the National Park Service)

Role In Creative Placemaking

These credits can be used to generate funding for rehabilitation or preservation of historic structures that are part of a cultural or historic district or that house arts or cultural programming.


Tax credits can cover 20% of qualified rehabilitation expenditures; property owners must cover the remaining 80%.


Warren Opera House – Greenfield, IA

Textile Mill – New Market, NH

Role in Creative Placemaking

This section represents our attempt to capture how this specific funding opportunity might fit into a placemaking initiative.


Who can apply? Eligibility is often limited, but in partnership with other entities you may identify an access point, such as subgrant opportunities. This information can help you determine which potential partners in your community might be able to access the funds.

Previous Projects/Grantees

These examples show how these funds have been used for creative or placemaking endeavors in the past, the types of organizations that have successfully accessed the funds and/or the types of activities for which the funds can be used.

Max Award

Maximum funding amounts can vary from year to year. We have provided the most recent information available. Where available, we also include a median or a range in cases in which the maximum is not typical of an average award.

Match Requirement

Most federal programs require some form of cost sharing. This is expressed differently for different agencies and programs. Sometimes a direct 1:1 match is specified. Other times, the application will state the maximum percentage of a project cost that the funding award can cover. We include this information, where available, in order to give you a sense of what to expect when applying for a particular funding program.


Most federal funding programs will require financial and progress reports at least annually, along with a final report. We consider this to be a "moderate" compliance burden. Where a higher degree of data collection and reporting is indicated, we convey that information with a "substantial" rating.